“Unexpected System Error” in DataStage Sequence Job

Today I was running into a mysterious error in DataStage as I was running a sequence job.  Things seemed to be going well until one of my Fact jobs at the end of the sequence reported “Aborted” in DataStage Director.  Looking into the log for this job revealed a rather vague error message: [StageName] DB2 […]

DataStage Range Lookup Failure – What Gives?

I just spent the majority of my morning trying to figure out why in the world my range lookup kept failing.  Hopefully this will save you some time in troubleshooting your range lookup failures.  To cut right to the chase, my resolution involved sorting my reference source prior to doing the lookup.  Adding a sort […]

Report Studio Bullet Chart – Missing Target

Today I was working on a bullet chart in Cognos Report Studio.  The chart was rendering, but the target bar would never appear.  Here’s the scenario I was in and how I resolved my issue: My Goal: My goal was to show the average time to process an application against a target processing time for […]

Removing Chart Gridlines & Plot Area Background in Report Studio

The steps from IBM’s official documentation, while they attempt to lead you in the direction of changing these properties of a chart, did not register with my brain for about an hour or so of clicking around, frustrated that I could not find the properties they were describing in the articl.  Just in case I […]

Resolving “UDA-SQL-0569 Unable to load the driver manager library ( db2cli.dll )” with Framework Manager 10.1

When installing Framework Manager 10.1 and attempting to use it for the first time, things went down hill nearly immediately.  I made sure to install a copy of the DB2 client on my development machine, but I still ran into issues connecting to data sources in Framework Manager. For those who need to install a […]

SSRS: Which server sent my e-mail subscription?

I was recently troubleshooting a seemingly bizarre issue I was having with one of our report subscriptions – the production version was running normally, but our customer suddenly began receiving a very old version of the same report subscription.  After disabling the subscription from all non-production servers that I knew about, the customer continued to […]

Troubleshooting SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services and SharePoint 2010 Integration (Part 2)

You can visit Part 1 of this troubleshooting series by clicking here. During our configuration of Reporting Services for SharePoint I ran into another common issue. I consulted MSDN once again and followed the directions given at this MSDN article.  Even after following all these instructions, when I would attempt to create a new BI Semantic […]

Troubleshooting SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services and SharePoint 2010 Integration (Part 1)

I recently worked with our SharePoint administrator to install SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services in SharePoint Integrated Mode to take advantage of PowerView.  By following the installation instructions found at this MSDN article, we were able to painlessly install both Reporting Services and the Reporting Services Add-in from the SQL Server installation media. Then began the […]

From SQL Queries to Data Modeling

This past week I had the opportunity to attend Microsoft TechEd 2012. Lots and lots of great material presented – I’m pretty stoked about some of the amazing features of SQL Server 2012’s BI stack. During the course of the week I discovered something that has been emerging in my thought process for a while, […]