Troubleshooting SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services and SharePoint 2010 Integration (Part 1)

I recently worked with our SharePoint administrator to install SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services in SharePoint Integrated Mode to take advantage of PowerView.  By following the installation instructions found at this MSDN article, we were able to painlessly install both Reporting Services and the Reporting Services Add-in from the SQL Server installation media.

Then began the configuration process.  Since everyone’s environment is different, I found it difficult to troubleshoot some of the odd behavior that we were running in to.  In Part 1 of this post I want to focus on what we did to overcome a specific error we were receiving:

After installation, I created a Business Intelligence Center site without any trouble.  In the Connections library, I would attempt to add a Report Data Source and receive a SharePoint page that detailed the following error:

This SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) functionality is not supported.  Use Central Administration to verify and fix one or more of the following issues:

  • A report server URL is not configured.  Use the SSRS Integration page to set it.
  • The SSRS service application proxy is not configured.  Use the SSRS service application pages to configure the proxy.
  • The SSRS service application is not mapped to this web application.  Use the SSRS service application pages to associate the SSRS service application proxy to the web application.

Other times, I would receive a little bit more of a generic message saying something to the effect of “This SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) functionality is not supported” or “Unsupported Reporting Services Functionality”.

As it turns out, our specific problem was unrelated to any three of those bullet points.

Our solution?

Make sure to install the “Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint Products” to all Web Front-End (WFE) nodes of your SharePoint farm.

On the Feature Selection screen of SQL Server setup, you can simply choose “Reporting Services Add-in for SharePoint Products” on your other WFE nodes.  You don’t need to install the Database Engine Services or Reporting Services – SharePoint all over again…just the Add-in.

We began to suspect it was something related to missing components on the other nodes because as I was troubleshooting, I noticed that if I attempted to create a Report Data Source enough times, I would be able to proceed to different stages of the creation process.  Sometimes I would hit the error right away.  Sometimes I would get to the page where I could fill out the connection details but when I would attempt to save the data source I would get one of the error pages described above.

After we installed the Reporting Services Add-in on all WFE nodes, the problem stopped and we have not experienced any difficulty since.

  • Thanks for the advices. I had the same problem with error 1 on a special sharepoint topology (mix of SQL SERVER 2008R2 for the SP databases and SQL SERVER 2012 for the Reporting services Application Service).

    By default and after following the standard deployment plan as usual, the default Application Proxy Group was not associated with the Application Proxy Reporting services Service Application.

    Go to Central Administration …Service Application Associations …Default…and check your SQL Server Reporting Services Service Application.

    Worked fine for me.

    • Andre

      Thak you, Yann! I was struggling for days now! Had all kinds of reporting errors when trying to use a simple PowerView report in SharePoint. After your post I checked the default associations and the SSRS2012 checkbox was not ticked. After ticking this box, everthing worked!

      I upgraded from SSRS2008 to SSRS2012 to enable the use of PowerView. I think the uninstall of 2008R2 and install of 2012 somhow confused SP2010… So happy it is working now!

  • Nilesh

    Yes Yann, Central Administration …Service Application Associations .. and checking SQL Server Reporting Services Service Application worked for me. No more SSRS error